Tuesday, December 14, 2010

I'm Not a Witch, I'm Your Wife



Maren calls it the WITCHING HOUR.
I have heard Susie call it the ARSENIC HOUR.

Whatever it is, it deserves capitals and it deserves attention. The hour before dinner, the hour at the end of many in the house with small children, the hour after naps, the hour before Dad gets home. The hour we want to quit.

I know the pernicious ticking of these minutes mingled with the cries of all who live here making exhaustive demands for ridiculous unrealistics.

Let's paint the picture:

I am at the sink trying to clean up the kitchen so I can cook something to feed this family of children who will likely refuse the food I put in front of them when finally we sit at the table too late for our own good.

Ewan has been fed but is still crying while he reclines in the swing that mostly just spells a.b.a.n.d.o.n.e.d to him.
" I want a cookie, Mom!"
"No, we are eating dinner in an hour."
"I can't wait that long, I'm hungry."
"You just had a bowl of yogurt and a graham cracker. You can wait for dinner."
"YOU ARE MEAN, MOM"
"Please don't yell, Caroline."

"I want to hold you."
"I can't, Cecily. I need to make dinner."
"I don't want my dinner - it's gross. I want to hold you."
"No Cecily."
"Is that blue fire, Mom?"
"CECILY, get AWAY from the stove."
My yelling is of course only a measure of safety, trying to scare her away from the flame, but it inevitably scares her into whimpering tears and I am forced to hold her while I should be attending to the cooking of whatever is on the stove.

Ewan is screaming by now. Cecily's wounded feelings are unsoothable, Caroline is still begging and accusing me of meanery, while Jonah refuses to clear the table off, stamping back and forth through the kitchen declaring how unfair it is that he cannot go outside to play.

I am crippled, standing in the midst of our mess from breakfast, lunch, lessons, coloring, half hearted attempts at working on Christmas gifts, cutting, paper, glue, dolls, boxes, markers, junk mail, books, candy wrappers, dirty socks, dirty diapers, crackers, cracker crumbs, blankets covered in spit-up, shirts covered in spit-up, damp towels, leaves, math sheets, sticks. I am rendered impotent by the milieu of stuff and the milieu of noise.

And then Matt walks in.

How often he enters this cacophony of trouble when his day at work has ended. How seldom is he met with my smile, dinner, happy children.

Need.

We greet him with need . . . thinking little of the needs he brings with him. His daily salutation as he comes through the door, fairly certain of the scene that awaits him, is "I'm here to help." And help he does. My good husband, gallant knight, swooping in to restore some idea that family is good and we can actually enjoy each other.

As yet, this circadian demise of my good self has not driven me to arsenic. But I would do well to remember when my husband walks through the door that like Billy Crystal's little henchwoman in The Princess Bride, "I'm not a witch, I'm your wife." As witching as the hour may be, as tempted as I may be to lash out at the man who fathered my chaos and leaves me to it each day, I am wife - not witch. His 'leaving me to it' is fulfillment of his duty to provide for us in a way that I could not. We live by the bargain of accepting our roles.

I told Matt the other night that I had figured out why we sleep. God knew that mothers and fathers would need desperately to arrive at the quotidian moment when they could lay the little bodies of their children in their beds and find enough quiet for enough hours to reset their tolerance for the work of parenting.

This is not a diatribe against my children, or my luck to be their mother. It is the truth of it; my weakness, their imperfection, our parallel attempt at being a family.

Life with children is hard and hard and hard, punctuated by moments of pure illumination. So let there be light.




2 comments:

Maren said...

"As witching as the hour may be, as tempted as I may be to lash out at the man who fathered my chaos and leaves me to it each day, I am wife - not witch. His 'leaving me to it' is fulfillment of his duty to provide for us in a way that I could not. We live by the bargain of accepting our roles."

I love the way you phrased this. This is the truth and the heart of the matter.

Whenever I am feeling completely beaten down and impotent and filled with rage, I just remember that I chose this. And I'd choose it again. I'd rather have my job than his.

Except on days like yesterday. Yesterday was another migraine day. When a mother gets sick, she has no reprieve. She has to work anyway. If Brent had felt yesterday as I did, he would have stayed home from work.

The fact that we NEVER get a break (even during the night, we are still on call, as evidenced by how I was up with James from 1-5 last night) is the one thing that makes me whine "unfair!"

JaeReg said...

I wish I could remove this burden of migraines from you, Maren. I cannot imagine attempting even one day of mothering with that kind of pain.